Ransomware is software that changes (encrypts) your files. This prevents you from opening or using them. The criminals spreading this menace are trying to make you to pay to get your own data back. The problem is that even if you do pay. you are very unlikely to recover it.
Ransomware uses links embedded in fake invoices, documents and emails. Clicking the link causes the software to be uploaded and rin on your pc without your knowledge or permission.
Once installed it searches external drives, networks and the cloud for your data and encrypts what it finds.
How to protect yourself from this threat.
- Think about clicking links or attachments- even if you think you know where they are from.
- Are you expecting the mail, text or whatever.?
- Can you confirm with the person who sent it, that it is genuine?
- Ultimately, the only way of fully recovering from data loss is to USE YOUR CURRENT BACKUP to restore the data
- Make sure you have a quality Anti Virus product installed. Check out reviews online- you may be surprised at how bad some of the wall known security products are at detecting problems
- I have been selling Escan for many years. It works very well. The current version has a very effective cloud based protection module.
- Remove any anti virus or security product that you no longer use.
- Setting up your pc properly in the first place, ensures maximum protection.
- Allow windows and other common software such as Adobe crobat reader to automatically update. These updates are designed to fix security flaws in the software to prevent your systemfrom being compromised by criminals
- If you are affected by this call me.